Nigeria is 48! You Know You’re Nigerian If…
To take a detour from my regularly scheduled blogging, I’d like to wish Nigeria a HAPPY 48th INDEPENDENCE DAY!!! We will party o!! We need Bailey’s Irish Cream, Guinness (Stout), Jollof Rice, Fufu & Stew, and Maltina.
You know you’re Nigerian IF…
- The only reason you dance at Nigerian parties is to get “sprayed” money by the adults
- Your parents add “O” to the end of every sentence: Shutup-O! Get me water-O!
- You’ve been called an “IJOT” more times than you can count by your parents
- You’ve been slapped for not greeting someone well
- You’ve gotten in trouble for giving an elder something with your left hand
- You gotta call all the older Nigerians you know uncle or auntie even if they are not related!
- Your parents YELL, not talk on the phone
- Your parents buy phone cards on a weekly basis
- You know who King Sunny Ade and Salawa are
- When Shina Peters’ Afro Juju comes on at a party, you lose your mind!
- You know what chin chin, puff puff, or moin moin are
- Your parents like eating Garri & Water as a snack (sometimes with peanuts)
- You can pick which you like better, Eba or Amala
- You been scared watching the movies your parents bring from back home
- There is ALWAYS white rice in your house
- Sometimes when you eat your Mom’s food, your nose starts running from the spiciness
- A party starts at 6 and you show up at 10, and most people are still not there yet
- You say “Amen” a thousand times when you pray and all the parents know the exact time to say it.
- You always hear your parents say “Ah ah!”
- When your parents threaten to send you “back home” when you misbehave
- Your parents call Ramen noodles “indomie”
- You point at something with your lips
- You always have maggi cubes in your house
- You are mad that your clothes now smell of stock fish and stew
- You gotta pronounce your last name 20 times for people and they still don’t get it rite!
- You’re laughing at this stuff because you can relate to some, if not most of them!!