My Thoughts on ABC’s Newest Show ‘Mistresses’
Last night, Mistresses premiered on ABC, and it’s a remake of the original version, which was done in the UK and came on BBC. I haven’t watched that one though so this was fresh to me. I also didn’t read up about it nor did I watch previews so I wouldn’t go in with any expectations. The show is slated for 13 weeks, so it’s ABC’s way of filling the black hole Scandal left in our hearts, methinks.
Mistresses is about four friends, Savannah (lawyer), Joss (real estate agent), Karen (psychiatrist) and April (interior design store owner). And each character is either a mistress herself, dealing with her own infidelity, or dealing with a mistress. The show is around the drama in their lives.
So yeah. I watched it and live-tweeted and here are my 5 thoughts on the show. Disclaimer: There are major spoilers so if you haven’t seen it and want to watch, stop here until you’ve watched.
* It’s a very diverse cast. ABC’s scripted shows are now looking like a United Colors of Benetton ad and I appreciate them for it. They get the high fives for managing to figure out that the world isn’t just full of white folks and maybe one latino. And they make the cast look good together so it doesn’t just look like ‘Sex and the City Affirmative Action.’ Now if they could only understand that on “The Bachelor” or The Bachelorette” which are so white that I need shades to watch them. But that’s a different story. Also, why do those shows still exist?
* The Black dude sidekick of the main character is not as fine as Harrison. I’m so petty. His name is Dominic and he’s Savannah’s co-worker. But I’m just saying. Also, he comes across as sleazy to me. By the end of the hour, he’s getting it in on an office desk so he’s seen more action than CoYUMbus has in 2 seasons. Ok I’ma stop with my Scandal comparison now. They’re two VERY different shows. I just wanted to point this out.
* The first 5 minutes felt uber awkward. And it was because the sex scenes were just thrown in our faces and I tried to care but I couldn’t because I wasn’t given time to. It was just opening credits, 3 lines of dialogue and clothes coming off. Ok then.
* The Karen storyline is the one that feels juiciest here. She was sleeping with one of her patients (Thomas), who was married. He died, and she was at his funeral sitting next to his wife, who looked at her for support. And now, her ex-lover’s son (Sam) is crushing on her. Plus, it might come to light that she prescribed lethal doses of morphine to her ex-lover, and it might have played a part in his death. Chile… so much going on.
* By the end of the episode, Savannah has cheated on her husband with Dominic, April found out that the dead calls she’s been getting are from her husband’s mistress (who has a son by him), Joss is living in Savi’s guest house (and her clients are this lesbian couple I give no dambs about) and Karen is having a breakdown about her involvement in Thomas’ life and possible death.
The previews for next week’s show told us a heck of a lot that will happen. Including the fact that Savannah will find out she’s pregnant, conveniently after the one-night stand her co-worker. And since the doctor just told her husband that his sperm is all unable to impregnate her and whatnot. Also, Karen and Sam kiss. I’m like dang. Where’s the mystery at?
Well, I guess maybe the pregnancy won’t be next week’s biggest news. This will clearly a fast-paced show, and it’s something we’re starting to expect from ABC.
My overall thoughts of the first ep is that it was ok. It shows promise. But my attention span was waning by minute 30 and I haven’t started caring about any of the characters. I know that I gotta give it time though so I could get invested in it. Will I be live-tweeting it next week? Not sure but I’ll probably tune in. We’ll see where the wind blows me. It’s not a bad show so It’s worth watching once.
So did you watch Mistresses? Whatcha you think? Anyone watched the UK version?